Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Summer Mornings


Summer mornings around here are heaven. No schedules, no particular place we have to be everyday (except our new Starbucks right down the street). It's nice....really nice. Don't get me wrong - there are some constants too - things that I can count on daily (including my Grande Pike - thank you sweetie). Like, Anna's sweet humming as she wakes in the morning. She's up with the sun....bright and happy - ready to start her day. It warms my heart to see such pure joy soooo early in the morning. David is usually the next to wake up. His demeanor is not quite as bubbly, but I can always count on a "Good morning mommy!" and "What's for breakfast?". It's the same regardless of a schedule or not. I also know that when John wakes up....he will need to check his blood sugar. Lately his morning numbers have been low....scary low. He is amazing! There are no tears or whines, he simply drinks his Juicy Juice and sits until he feels better. I can't pretend I know how he feels....so I don't. I just marvel as I watch him day in and day out bravely manage his life. I do know what it's like to be a mom of a diabetic. I wonder and worry....that sums it up. I wonder what his blood sugar will be like that day and then worry when he is away from me. I try to be one step ahead of his day, but there are times when I've misjudged his activity or food intake....it happens more than I would like. But there he is....high or low.....taking it in stride. I'm so proud of him!
Then, there is William....sleeping past 10 or so. He's growing like a weed. I look up to him - really I do - he is at least 6 inches taller than me. I remember reading once, that teenagers require as much sleep as an infant....and I think it must be true. I'm going to miss our lazy summer mornings when they're gone. I know all to soon they will be replaced with our hectic school mornings. Until then, I'm going to enjoy every last minute of our summer, regardless of the time of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment