Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Major bummer



William didn't make the 8th grade basketball team. In "his" world - tonight looks pretty bleak. He gave it his all and still fell short. Sometimes that happens..... My heart breaks to see him upset and frustrated, but I know without a doubt something better is going to come his way. I could tell him that this is character building, and how losing will make him try harder next time, but he doesn't want to hear that from me or his dad right now. I did tell him about Michael Jordan not making the cut in high school. He said he already knew because I was the 3rd person (besides the coach and dad) to tell him that tonight.

As we walked in the door at home, all three siblings instinctively (and by instinctively, I mean they could tell by the looks on our faces) knew he had not made the team. John kindly unpacked his bag for him, sat next to him and patted his back, not saying a word. Anna and David both showed compassion in their own way, desperately hoping to cheer him up. We are all feeling his pain right now. It's a rough blow, but we are all here to support and hopefully absorb some of it. Living the Powell Life isn't always fun, but I'm glad we have each other.....especially tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment